Campus Life

Frequently Asked Questions on Student Visa Matters

Q1 to Q3

General Policy

  • Can I study in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR)?

  • Do I need to apply for a HKSAR student visa?

Q4 to Q30

Entry Visa Application Procedure

(Mainland students enrolled in taught postgraduate courses, undergraduate courses, exchange, short term programmes and overseas students enrolled in summer programme should apply to the China Affairs Office)

Q31 to Q32

Financial Proof Documents

  • What kinds of financial documents will be accepted by the HK Immigration Department?

  • How much money will be considered as "sufficient"?

Q33 to Q35

Dependent Visa

Q36 to Q40

Visa Extension

Q41 to Q46

Entry and Travelling Arrangements

  • Do I need to apply for a re-entry permit if I return to Hong Kong from other countries during my studying period?

  • I wish to travel to Mainland China during the semester break. Do I need to apply for a separate tourist visa to Mainland?

  • How to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card?

  • What should I do if I lose my travel documents?

  • If my passport / travel document is valid for less than six months, can I apply for a HKSAR student visa?

  • I have a valid student visa in my old passport / travel document. Can I transfer it to my new passport / travel document?

Q47 to Q50

Change of Educational Institutions/Programmes and Termination of Study

  • Can I change to another educational institution?

  • Can I change from one programme to another within HKU?

  • What should I do if I have any change of visa status during my studying period?

  • Can I continue to stay in Hong Kong after termination of my studies?

Q51 to Q53

Employment during the Study Programme

  • Am I allowed to work while I am studying at HKU? Where can I work part-time on campus?

  • What should I do if my "No Objection Letter" is lost or damaged?

  • What if I want to take up an internship, voluntary or charity work during my study at HKU?

Q54 to Q56

Employment after the Completion of Studies

  • Can I apply for employment in Hong Kong after I have completed my study?

  • I have just completed a study programme and have not yet received the result. However, my current student visa is about to expire and I wish to apply to stay in Hong Kong under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-locals Graduates Scheme (IANG). Can I extend my stay in Hong Kong to await the result?

  • I have successfuly completed the requirements for the conferment of a degree and waiting for the Congregation. I wish to apply to stay in Hong Kong under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates Scheme (IANG). How can I apply for a certificate for conferment of a degree?


Visit Visa for Graduation Ceremony

  • Do my family members and I need to apply for visit visas to attend my graduation ceremony?


Frequent Asked Questions (FAQs) on the student visa matters serves as reference only. The Hong Kong Immigration Department will update its procedures any time without prior notice. Hence, you are always advised to consult the Hong Kong Immigration Department on all immigration matters.

Visa Matters