go to Top

Student Visa

Student Visa

Please register and log in to the online student visa application system if you would like to apply for:

  • an entry student visa/entry permit
  • a supporting letter for student visa extension
  • a supporting letter for replacement of your lost entry student visa/entry permit

Applicants are advised to read the FAQs related to immigration formalities carefully before submitting an application.

Online Student Visa Application

Who is this for?

You should apply for a student visa/entry permit via Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS), The University of Hong Kong (HKU) if you are:

  • an overseas student admitted to an elective/short-term programme (excluding summer programme)
  • an overseas student admitted to a full degree programme (undergraduate, taught postgraduate or research postgraduate programme)
  • an overseas student admitted to an exchange or visiting programme
  • a PRC student admitted to a research postgraduate programme

CEDARS, HKU will be your student visa sponsor.

You should apply via the China Affairs Office (CAO), HKU for a student visa/entry permit if you are:

  • a PRC student admitted to an undergraduate, taught postgraduate, exchange, visiting, elective or short term programme
  • an overseas student admitted to a summer programme

China Affairs Office
Email: visaapp@hku.hk
Webpage: http://cao.aal.hku.hk/student-visa

Entry Visa - Suggested Timeline

Students who are commencing studies in September can start submitting student visa applications in mid-March. Those who are commencing in January can start submitting applications in September of the previous year.

Visa application takes time. The processing time can be up to 8-10 weeks upon receipt of a complete set of application documents sent by mail/courier. The actual processing time could be longer for individual cases, especially if your set of documents are incomplete. You are advised to apply for a student visa as soon as possible after accepting an offer of admission to study in HKU.

For PRC research students, after receiving the entry student visa label issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD), you need to seek an additional endorsement from your local police unit. Experience shows that your local police unit (depending on your affiliated district) will take 2-4 weeks to grant you the endorsement.

Application Fee

The application fee for student visa sponsorship is HK$990. The fee is non-refundable under all circumstances. An applicant is required to settle the fee using an online credit card payment platform (Visa, Mastercard or Unionpay).

Application Flow

Applicant receives a conditional/confirmed offer of admission*
Applicant prepares the required documents and proceed with the online visa application
Applicant uploads all the required documents and settles an application fee
CEDARS checks the documents
Applicant uploads revised or outstanding document(s) (if required)
CEDARS confirms the documents
Applicant sends the complete set of application documents to CEDARS by courier/registered mail
CEDARS submits the application to ImmD
ImmD processes the application in 8-10 weeks and releases results
Applicant may need to upload additional document(s) during the process
Applicant confirms address for delivery of the visa label/entry permit
CEDARS sends the visa label/entry permit by courier

*Exchange students without an offer of admission can submit their student visa application first and upload the offer of admission when available.

Click below to access the Online Student Visa Application System:

External Links



  1. CEDARS will not be responsible for any delay/cancellation/failure in your student visa application.
  2. The visa fees paid are non-refundable under any circumstances.
  3. Content of this website may be updated at any time without prior notice.

Student Visa