go to Top


New Students
Current Students
Postgraduates (UGC-funded)
Postgraduates (Self-funded)
Local Students
Non-local Students
Residential Halls
Residential Colleges
CEDARS-administered Residences
Off Campus Housing
Other accommodation
Non-Residential Halls
Temporary Accommodation
Summer Vacation Residence
Summer Letting
Students with disabilities

Residential Halls (mainly for undergraduate students)

Halls of residence form part of the tradition of the University. They are part of the education system rather than just a provision of accommodation. As hall members have to learn to be independent and interact closely with students of different backgrounds under the same roof, halls are a very effective means to integrate students' social and intellectual lives, and therefore offer a golden opportunity for whole-person education.

The importance of hall education is acknowledged both by the Government and the University.  Last year, the Consultation Document on the Aims of Education listed "enhancing residential experiences", "enhancing the cultural dimensions in hall lives", and "re-designing the living environments in students' halls of residence" as strategies to train leadership skills and promote the physical and cultural capacities of the undergraduates.

Halls of HKU are devoted to the development of their members.  Hall members are encouraged to take full advantage of such a precious opportunity to actively participate in various hall activities so as to develop their personal abilities (e.g. leadership skills), personality, communication and social skills, as well as intellectual ability.

Halls of HKU are known for their strong hall spirit.  Each hall has its own tradition, culture, and unique characteristics and members identify very strongly with their halls.  Through developing a sense of belonging and commitment to the hall, students will also develop a similar sense of commitment to the society.

Presently, there are thirteen residential halls and two non-residential halls. For residential halls, eleven of them are directly administered by the University while two are financially and administratively independent. Each hall has either a Manager or a Steward to assist the Warden in the daily operation.

Non-residential students may also apply to become affiliated members of most of the residential halls.

Residential Colleges (Jockey Club Student Village III)

Residential Colleges form part of a proud tradition at The University of Hong Kong.

Sited on Lung Wah Street, Kennedy Town, the Village was named after The Hong Kong Jockey Club in recognition of a donation of HK$108.25 million from the Club’s Charities Trust. Its four Residential Colleges are now home to 1,800 students, and are committed to contributing to society both locally and worldwide.

Each College is a home for students’ intellectual development as well as their social and cultural growth. In this community of young intellectuals, students learn about the world, about others, and most of all about themselves.

At The Jockey Club Student Village III, 1,800 students from 56 countries live together and learn from one another. Here, dynamic cross-cultural experiences take place, visions and ideals are nurtured, and friendships are built for life.

CEDARS-administered Residences (mainly for non-local students)

CEDARS provided housing places in four residential communities, as housing alternatives not bound by the rich traditions of Halls and Residential Colleges:

    ●Ching Lin Terrace Residence
    ●Graduate House
    ●Mui Fong House  
    ●Student Flats
    ●Jockey Club Student Village IV (Wong Chuk Hang) - under construction

Student residents enjoy a varied hostel experience in a range of room type options including single rooms, double rooms, shared flats, and family units (for married couples). The sharing of basic facilities (e.g. bathroom and kitchen) of a small household size provides better networking and interpersonal development among flatmates. Closer attention from staff and resident tutors provides conveniences and quick responses that students expect nowadays.

Off-Campus Housing

Privately-Rented Accommodation 
If you do not want to reside in the university student residences, you can choose to find your own apartment or share a flat with your friends or other HKU students. Information on vacant flats and rooms can be found in local newspapers, real estate agencies or from the website of CEDARS. CEDARS runs an ‘Accommodation Service’ which gathers information on rooms and flats available for renting in the vicinity of the campus. The information is posted on an intranet database and CEDARS IMap where all HKU members can get access easily. Also Guidelines on signing of a tenancy agreement are listed. As a general rule, the landlord will request the tenant to pay a two-month rental deposit and will demand a contract that will last for a year or more. Places advertised in the newspapers are generally arranged by real estate agencies and they will levy a commission fee. 

Other University Administered Residences

Madam S. H. Ho Residence For Medical Students and Patrick Manson Student Residence
Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine operates Madam S. H. Ho Residence for Medical Students (RMS) and Patrick Manson Student Residence (PMR) on Sassoon Road for students undergoing clinical training at Queen Mary Hospital under the Faculty. RMS was opened in April 1992 and provides 165 single rooms for medical students, most of them are taking specialty clerkship or final year students. PMR accommodates 126 students in double rooms, triple rooms and quadruple rooms. A few rooms are also available for overseas elective medical students and visitors affiliated with the Faculty.

Non-Residential Halls

Non-residential students may also apply to become affiliated members of most of the residential halls.

Temporary Housing

Inside Campus
Some guest rooms are available at our halls for students to stay temporarily. For those who need temporary accommodation, they could contact the following hall offices directly for reservation and other arrangements.

Number of hotels and hostels neary HKU in which students can stay either short-term or long-term. 

News & Updates

Join Hands, Prevent Crime - Important message from Crime Prevention Bureau, Hong Kong Police Force

Becareful when dealing with "landlords", "homeowners" and/or "hostel administrator"

CEDARS has recently be alerted about a renting scam going on in one of the local hostel providers. Please be alert and careful when dealing with persons who claim to be landlords / homeowners / hostel administrator, and offer you a vacancy and ask money as deposit to be sent immediately.

The Estates Agents Authority has published a booklet “Tenancy Guide for Non-local Students in Hong Kong” about renting a residential place. Hard copy is available at CEDARS (3/F MWC).

If you are unsure about the terms and conditions of the offer received from any local providers, please write to CEDARS (cedars.housing@hku.hk). We will try our best to help verifying the legitimacy of any transaction or party.

2 November 2017

Students with disabilities

CEDARS SEN Support is the one-stop service unit for students with physical and sensory disabilities, learning and developmental disabilities, mental illnesses, chronic medical illnesses, and multiple disabilities. If you wish to apply for a student residential placement based on your disability or SEN conditions, please contact SEN Support (Tel) 3917-8388 (Email) cedars-SEN@hku.hk for registration and assessment.

For more information, please refer to SEN Support Website.