Government Scheme

The largest amount of financial assistance for local students undertaking full time University Grants Committee (UGC) funded courses is provided by the means-tested grant and loan scheme, the Tertiary Student Finance Scheme - Publicly-funded Programmes (TSFS) (formerly named as Local Student Finance Scheme (LSFS)) administered by the Government Student Finance Office (SFO). If you need financial assistance for your studies at the University, you are strongly encouraged to apply for TSFS (i.e. Government Grants and Loans). The level of maximum grants (approximate figures only) and maximum loan for each subject is listed here. Recipients of TSFS award are also eligible to apply for reimbursement of expenses incurred in compulsory overseas field trips. For details, please check with the respective departments.

Details of TSFS could be viewed on the homepage of the Government Student Finance Office (SFO).

In addition, there is a Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Full-time Tertiary Students (NLSFT) available for applicants who do not wish to rely on family support or who have difficulties in applying for the means-tested TSFS. The loan offered by NLSFT is up to the maximum amount of tuition fee payable. More details of the NLSFT scheme can be found on the homepage of the Government Student Finance Office (SFO).

Students reading a self-financing 2nd degree of a double degree programme offered by HKU can apply for the Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) or Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary Students (NLSPS).

Part-time students and students on self-financing courses can apply for Extended Non-means Tested Loan Scheme. For tuition fee charged by modules, student can only apply for the loan up to the level of fees for the enrolled modules per application. Please click here for frequently asked questions.

Government Scheme