By jotting down and sharing their lecture notes, or transcribing audio-recordings of lectures, peer note-takers/ transcribers make an important contribution to enhancing equity and accessibility for students with SEN.
During the electronic conversion of printed text, errors or "scannos" may appear. SEN PIN members are invited to proof-read the converted text to improve its accuracy so that it can be displayed on different assistive devices from screen readers to digital braille devices.
To join the Study Support service, you are required to:
- Engage in at least ONE of the above services in the semester*
- Attend two inclusive gatherings offered by CEDARS-CoPE:
- Oct 16, 2020 (Fri) 6:00 – 7:30 pm
- Nov 4, 2020 (Wed) 6:00 – 7:30 pm
Format: Zoom/ Face-to-face (To be announced)
* Service opportunities are based on demand. From record in 2019-20, each student served for about 3 hours per semester.
What will I gain through providing study support?
- A chance to get in touch with and provide hands-on support to students in HKU with disabilities/SEN
- Deeper understanding of people with disabilities/SEN and their potential
- Enhanced helping and communication skills
- Raised awareness and sensitivity of disability-related issues
- Opportunity to build an inclusive campus through the peer support network
Students conducting study support:
If you are interested in providing any of the above study support services, you can join SEN PIN (You can also register as a note-taker / transcriber for particular courses only).