Relaxed Theatre (Not offered in academic year of 2020-21)
Students will assist in a special theatre setting called “Relaxed Theatre” organized by the Absolutely Fabulous Theatre Connection (AFTEC).
Relaxed Theatre is a form of socially inclusive entertainment that welcomes individuals with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other learning / communication challenges to enjoy the theatre experiences. Theatre rules are specially tailored to meet the needs of the audience and to create a supportive environment for them to enjoy the performance (Visit here to learn more about AFTEC and Relaxed Theatre).
Students will take up the role of Front-of-House Volunteers, with the following main duties:
- Support the performers in creating a relaxing, interactive, and discrimination-free atmosphere
- Maintain order at the auditorium
- Provide assistance to the audience (e.g. escort them in and out of the house, guide the direction, etc.)
- Address ad hoc needs of the audience
All Front-of-House Volunteers are required to:
- Attend the training
- Attend the dressed rehearsal
- Assist in at least ONE Relaxed Theatre show
What will I gain as a Front-of-House Volunteer?
- Knowledge about “Relaxed Theatre” and how it promotes equality in society
- Learning how the idea of inclusion can be applied to a theatre setting
- Practical skills and hands-on experiences in managing the audience’s behaviours and interacting with them
- A deeper understanding of children and teenagers with ASD and other types of SEN
- An exclusive opportunity to enjoy a very different theatre experience!
Students who joined Relaxed Theatre