go to Top
In Crisis? Want someone to talk with,
text Open Up  or call 18111 (in Hong Kong), click here

Crisis and Emergency Outside Hong Kong

Crisis and Emergency Outside Hong Kong

Crisis and Emergency Outside Hong Kong 

1.     Insurance Coverage and Arrangement

i.           Students should note that the University only provides standard travel insurance coverage for overseas trips or study abroad programmes approved/arranged by the University.  Before leaving Hong Kong, students are strongly advised to arrange their own travel insurance to better suit their needs, especially if they are planning to travel beyond the official programme period for personal leisure purpose.  If students require additional or special insurance coverage, they will need to make their own personal arrangements at their own expense.  The travel insurance coverage arranged by the University could not be extended to cover personal needs or leisure travelling arrangements.

ii.         All travel insurance policies (including the one arranged by the University) have a standard cover period of continuous 183 days (maximum) for any overseas travel.  If the travel period of study abroad programmes exceeds 183 days, an insurance policy which could provide a full year coverage should be purchased by the students at their own costs.  Information on the said study abroad insurance scheme could be obtained via email to the Finance and Enterprises Office at feo_insurance@hku.hk.

iii.        General information on the insurance policy can be found in the undergraduate and postgraduate handbooks.  Students can also login to HKU Portal account to find out details of HKU’s travel insurance coverage via this path: SIS Menu → Financial Services → FEO Info and Hotlines → Finance and Enterprises Office → Insurance Information for Students.  Please be reminded to read through (1) Travel Insurance Arrangement for Students, (2) 24/7 Global Travel Emergency Assistance Programme ("GTEA") and (3) FAQ.        

iv.         It is important to note that trips with manual/construction site work outside Hong Kong carried out by HKU students do not fall into the coverage of HKU’s Travel Insurance policy. Students should check with the Finance and Enterprises Office through email at feo_insurance@hku.hk as early as possible before departure. They are strongly advised to purchase their own insurance to fully cover themselves.

v.          Certificate of Travel Insurance could be issued by HKU’s insurer upon request by students. Please send the request to the Finance and Enterprises Office through email at feo_insurance@hku as soon as possible as it requires at least 5 working days to process.

2.      Emergency Assistance When Travel Out of Hong Kong

i.          HKU has engaged the Inter Partner Assistance (“IPA”) to provide worldwide emergency assistance to students while you are staying overseas, such as information on nearby clinic/ pharmacy, police station, translation services or travel security advice. The IPA 24/7 Assistance Center hotline is +852 2861 9266, and HKU membership number is “39379”.  Students are strongly advised to create an account using HKU email address at IPA Registration before travelling out of Hong Kong.  A quick guideline could be downloaded at IPA Assistance Access . IPA is NOT an insurance company to provide compensations or financial support under the insurance terms.

ii.        Subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions of HKU’s Travel Insurance Policy, for request of urgent / emergency assistance which incurs a cost, students should contact AIG (the insurer) at their 24-hour Travel Guard Assistance Hotline +852 3516 8699 or +60 3 2772 5603 and quote the HKU policy number “GPP2001042”.

3.      Reminders Before Departure

i.          Students are advised to save a copy of the HKID card and passport in their email accounts for back up purpose.

ii.         Students should use their HKU email address to create an account at IPA Registration and download the IPA Travel Eye mobile app for receiving useful pre-trip advice and alert.

iii.        Students should read carefully and bring a copy of the following documents related to travel insurance and the IPA Travel Eye with them for reference and use when needed.

iv.     Students are advised to inform their family member(s) of their travel period, travel destination, brief itinerary, contact information of HKU organiser and overseas organiser or community partner, if any.


4.     Once any incident happens while abroad, students should inform their family members and report to the relevant HKU faculty or office as soon as possible:

For programmes organised or coordinated by CEDARS:

·           Study and cultural tours: 3917 2305 (phone) / cedars@hku.hk (email)

·           Placement and internships : 3917 2317 (phone) / careers@hku.hk (email)

For programmes organised or coordinated by faculties or other HKU offices:

·           Centre for Sports and Exercise: 2819 5450 (phone) / csehku@hku.hk  (email)

·           Common Core Office: 2219 4957 (phone) / commoncore@hku.hk  (email)

·           Faculty of Architecture: 3917 2149 (phone) / faculty@arch.hku.hk (email)

·           Faculty of Arts: 3917 8977 (phone) / arts@hku.hk (email)

·           HKU Business School: 3917 5343 (phone) / fbeinfo@hku.hk (email)

·           Faculty of Dentistry: 2859 0390 (phone) / dental@hku.hk (email)

·           Faculty of Education: 3917 6044 (phone) / edfac@hku.hk (email)

·           Faculty of Engineering: 3917 2803 (phone) / enggfac@hku.hk (email)

·           Faculty of Law: 3917 2951 (phone) / lawfac@hku.hk (email)

·           Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine: 3917 9175 (phone) / medfac@hku.hk (email)

·           Faculty of Science: 3917 2683 (phone) / science@hku.hk (email)

·           Faculty of Social Sciences: 3917 1234 (phone) / socsc@hku.hk (email)

·           Horizons Office: 2857 8539 (phone) / horizons@hku.hk (email)

·           International Affairs Officegoabroad@hku.hk (email)    

·           Mainland Affairs Officemainlandaffairs@hku.hk (email)

·           School of Modern Languages and Cultures: 3917 2000 (phone) / smlc@hku.hk (email)

5.      Other Useful Tips

a.      Health Precautions

i.         Students are advised to consult the Travel Health Service of University Health Service at least 6 weeks before departure to obtain health advice and receive the necessary vaccinations. Please bear in mind that some vaccines need weeks to take effect, and some are given in series. For more information and booking arrangements, please visit: HKU Travel Health Service.

ii.         If students need any Traveller's Medical Pack and/or Travelling First Aid Kit, please arrange with University Health Service.

b.     Travel Tips and Assistance by Hong Kong SAR Government

i.      Outbound Travel Alert (OTA)

Students can better understand the risk or threat to personal safety before travelling to a list of countries/territories via the Outbound Travel Alert of Security Bureau of HKSAR Government.

ii.     Registration of Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)

 Before travelling outside Hong Kong, students can use the online service of the HKSAR Government at Registration of Outbound Travel Information to register their contact details, itinerary and to receive updates on Outbound Travel Alert (OTA) and related public information.

iii.    Travel Health Service, Department of Health

Student can check the travel health news, tips and information, etc. at: HKSAR Travel Health Service.

iv.    Assistance to Hong Kong Residents by HKSAR

Students are advised to read through the information at Assistance Outside Hong Kong and take note of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents 24-Hour Hotline (+852 1868).

c.      Contact Information of Consulates

i.       Consulate-Generals and Representatives in Hong Kong

Students can try to seek assistance and advice of the countries they are visiting via the relevant consulates’ offices or representatives in Hong Kong. The list of Consulates and Officially Recognised Bodies in Hong Kong is available at Consular Affairs. It is advisable to check the contact information of and advice from the respective Consulates in Hong Kong and at the country you are going to before departure.

ii.      Assistance to Hong Kong Residents in the Mainland or Travelling Outside Chinese Territory

Students can find the locations and contacts of overseas Chinese diplomatic or consular missions on the webpage of one-stop portal of the HKSAR Government (GovHK) at Assistance Outside Hong Kong.

iii.     CEDARS Reference Guide

Students are also advised to download and keep a copy of the Pre-Departure Notes for Outgoing Students prepared by CEDARS.

(last update on 01/2024)