go to Top

Learning and Other Support

Learning and Other Support

Learning Support

Reasonable academic accommodations / adjustments

Reasonable academic accommodations / adjustments aim to minimise or eliminate the disadvantaging effects of students’ conditions on their learning. They are meant to “level the playing field” instead of undermining academic integrity or the core requirements of a course or programme.

We provide recommendations on reasonable academic accommodations / adjustments which address individual needs in the following aspects:

  • Special examination arrangement
  • Special classroom arrangement
  • Course materials in an accessible format

As students’ educational needs in HKU may differ from those in the past, there may be modifications to the academic adjustments and examination arrangements granted in HKU.

After reviewing individual cases, we will issue a letter of recommendations on reasonable accommodations / adjustments (LoRA) to the respective Faculties and the Examinations Office for approval and implementation. Students will also receive a copy of our letter via email for their record.

Since requests for reasonable academic accommodations / adjustments require a processing time of at least 8 weeks, students are recommended to register with us as early as possible. Late applications may not be accepted.

The LoRA expires every year. Students are responsible for communicating with us to review their needs and renew the letter before or at the beginning of a new academic year.

Individual study skills coaching

Our professional staff and members of the SEN Peer Impact Network (SEN PIN members) offer one-to-one coaching on generic study skills, such as selective reading, information search, time management, and preparation for essays and presentations.

Note-taking support

We may arrange SEN PIN members to note down major learning points delivered in lectures for students who have difficulties in writing their notes. Please be reminded that this support service is not a substitute for class attendance.

Special library support

We collaborate with the Libraries to provide special support and facilities to students with SEN. Requests for special library support must be referred by the SEN Case Manager from SEN Support.

  • Liaise with publishers to provide electronic textbooks
  • Support for converting materials into accessible formats
  • Special rooms equipped with assistive technology
    • Hardware: Computers with larger monitors, reading aids (e.g. Braille display, magnifier, etc.), and power scanners
    • Software: Screen reader software JAWS (which also offers speech synthesizers for English and Chinese languages) and Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software ABBYY
  • Special lift access for students with physical disabilities

Other Support

Employment support

We work with employers and community partners in providing students with information on relevant job opportunities. SEN Support also offers career consultation to address students' possible concerns on work regarding their conditions. 

For general enquiries on careers, students are welcome to visit CEDARS – Careers & Placement and explore their services.

Counselling support

Students with SEN can consult our professional counsellors if they would like to have in-depth and confidential discussions on personal issues related to self-understanding, personal growth, family, relationship, study, or any mental health concerns. More details at Counselling and Psychological Services.

Special Housing Arrangement

If students wish to apply for a student residence based on the needs arisen from their disabilities/ SEN conditions, they must be registered with SEN Support. Based on the relevant documentation proof provided by the students, all applications will first be assessed by the SEN Case Manager.

It is the students’ responsibility to obtain and provide relevant document(s) to support their application. The document(s) must be issued by qualified professionals. It shall indicate the student's diagnosis, his/her current conditions, the specific recommendations and justifications for the request.

The application will be jointly considered by Counselling and Person Enrichment (SEN Support) and Campus Life (Accommodation) of CEDARS. We may also consult the Director of University Health Service, depending on the student's needs.

Please note that students are still required to submit an on-line application within the application period (same as other students). Please visit CEDARS – Campus Life (Accommodation) for more information.

All HKU student residences offer one-year residency only. If students wish to continue to live in a particular residential hall / college in subsequent years, they must apply for re-admission in the Round II application exercise, which normally takes place in March / April. Students with SEN are expected to approach their SEN Case Manager and present updated evidence to support their application for re-admission.

For new students, please contact SEN Support as soon as you have received an offer letter of admission in early August.

For students who are applying for a student residence based on other special needs (e.g. temporary medical conditions), please write to CEDARS (cedars.housing@hku.hk) directly.

Learning and Other Support